and mental wellbeing for children and young people
What's Strong with You?
Protective Behaviours is a practical down to earth approach to personal safety. It is a process that encourages self-empowerment and brings with it the skills to raise self-esteem and to help avoid being victimised. This is achieved by helping individuals to recognise and trust their intuitive feelings (Early Warning Signs) and to develop strategies for self-protection. The Protective Behaviours process encourages an adventurous approach to life that satisfies the need for fun and excitement without violence and fear.
HSK are interested in Protective Behaviours as another great way to support C&YP's emotional wellbeing and resilience as part of a whole school approach. We have recently been involved in the #CETheSigns campaign in Cornwall and it was this work that prompted us to revisit a long standing interest in PBs. We were approached by a young person who has experienced bullying and grooming online who wanted to share their experience and a deliver clear, positive message to other young people to help them stay safe. We helped her create a short animated film and are currently working on a resource for schools.
We believe that all C&YP can benefit from Protective Behaviours as a way to help support and develop resilience and wellbeing online and beyond. This is fab 3 minute introduction by Sally Ann Hart a brilliant PBs trainer (who's going to be delivering some training for Cornwall (see below).
Protective Behaviours - What's that?
A short guide to PBs - download PDF
Protective Behaviours - An Introduction
Coming soon - an introduction to Protective Behaviours webinar offering a short overview of PBs for all.
Protective Behaviours Foundation Course
Protective Behaviours Foundation is a 2-day course for anyone who lives and/or works with children, young people, or adults. Ideally the day sessions are separated by one or two weeks to allow time for reflection and practice. This course is currently being offered in a live interactive online version delivered over 4 x 3hour session spread over 2 weeks. Find out more / book here.
The Foundation course introduces the 5 elements of the PB process and provides opportunities to experience the 7 strategies in action.
The learning outcomes for the course are that each participant will be able to:
- understand what makes up the Language of Safety and be able to use this in order to communicate in a way that enhances relationships and empowers all involved
- explain some of the possible effects of Unwritten Rules
- describe the relationship between Feelings, Thoughts and Behaviour and use this model to problem solve events
- clarify Rights and Responsibilities
- define a personal concept of Safety
- describe the function of Early Warning Signs in the PB process
- describe how a person might use the idea of Personal Networks of support
- describe how someone could use the seven PB Strategies as an integral part of the Protective Behaviours process in practice
- devise a Personal and/or Group Plan to use the Protective Behaviours process
- make links with the Protective Behaviours process and things that people may already statutorily have to do or choose to do
Attending a 2-day course provides individuals with an opportunity to develop their knowledge of Protective Behaviours and build confidence in being able to recognise where it already exists in current practice. It also helps to identify areas for future development and attendees are encouraged to record how their practice will change as a result of the training.
On successful completion of this course, attendees will receive log-in details to access on-line resources to support the application of PBs.