and mental wellbeing for children and young people
Watch and Wonder - Train the Trainer
Training to be a Watch and Wonder (formerly known as 'Baby Watching') Leader is held via Zoom, 3, 3-hour after school sessions with a little home-study in between.
See our training pages for dates this term (must be able to attend all 3 sessions to complete course)
We are providing the opportunity for 10 schools per term to access this training and mentoring offer for free.
Download a Training Flier
Every session gives plenty of time to discuss and see how theory actually relates to our own settings and the children we work with.
Session 1 - Introduction, Attachment, Qualities of a Group Leader
- Attachment theory as it relates to Watch and Wonder
- Considering how attachment affects how we learn
- The difference between genuine resilience and the ‘adapted’ child
- Considering presenting behaviours in the classroom
- Considering the qualities of a good Group Leader – PACE model
20 minutes of watching videos for home-study needed to prepare for Session 2.
Session 2 - Empathic Listening and Reflecting and Introduction of skills. How does Watch and Wonder work?
- Introduction of core skills - empathic listening and reflecting within a Watch and Wonder context.
- Use of Naming and the importance of this reflecting skill.
- Introduction to the Babywatching model.
- Delivery changes to manage post Covid 19
- Question Technique.
- Development of empathy in practice
20 minutes of watching videos for home-study needed to prepare for Session 3.
Session 3 - Getting started and problem solving
- Practicing Questioning technique
- Practicalities of starting a group
- Managing behaviours in a Watch and Wonder session
- Post session resources
- Working virtually
- Using evaluations - SDQ’s and Altruism Measure
- The Importance of having a mentor