and mental wellbeing for children and young people
Mental Health Leads Training / Support
DfE Funded MH Lead Training
The long awaited DfE funded mental health lead training is on its way. More information from the DfE here.
You will need to get in early as there is only funding available for around 1/3rd of State Schools in 21/22 academic year (September to March)
However you won't be able to opt-in online until mid-September 2021 when the DfE will publish a list of approved training providers. We'll keep this page up to date with information as we get it.
What will the Training Cover?
The Learning outcomes for senior mental health lead training (PDF) are closely aligned with the principles of the Whole School Approach
We hear that in the Autumn the PHE WSA Framework documnet will be republished. Nothing in the framework will change so the
In the meantime there is plenty of support available and training being planned for September (A-Z)
Creative Education (with Dr Pooky Knightsmith)
Discover a wealth of practical, engaging online video courses empowering everyone who works with or cares for children to develop their skills – anywhere, anytime. There are On Demand Courses; Live Learning / Webinars; Longer Programmes and Resources about all aspects of wellbeing in schools.
All school staff / Governors and others supporting wellbeing in Cornwall can get full and free access until December 31st 2022 to the platform via the Cornwall Wellbeing Hub.
Pooky is currently finalising an offer for schools to be included in the DfE list.
Upcoming webinar: Mental Health Leads: DfE funded training – Information & Ideas Sharing Session Tuesday 13th July at 4 pm
Webinar playback: New to the Role- Mental Health Lead on demand.
If you would to register interest in the Creative Education programme (subject to DfE approval) – sign up here
Carnegie Centre Of Excellence For Mental Health In Schools
- Providing support and guidance for schools, including professional development for staff working in schools (including Diplomas and Masters' courses in MH in Schools)
- Annual conference to profile innovative and proven work, deepen understanding and support the link between policy and practice.
- Mental Health Awards for Schools, Boarding Schools, Further Education, and Education in Sport to evidence and show effectiveness and impact of a whole school approach to Mental Health
- School Mental Health Leads Community
- Research to ensure that interventions are evidence-based and that we produce best practice publications. Take a look at their latest Working Paper Series
Anna Freud Centre - Schools in Mind Network
Schools in Mind is a free network for education professionals with resources / training
Cornwall Wellbeing Hub / MH Leads Network
From September 2021 we will be offering a series of wellbeing workshops and webinars building on the hugely popular Weathering the Storm sessions held in 2020 / 2021 (funded by the DfE Wellbeing for Education Return programme).
There will MH Leads network meetings and drop in sessions for anyone who is interested in wellbeing and MH in schools.
We will continue to support trauma-informed / practice practice in schools
Available to book from September 2021, our Senior Mental Health Leads programme will support you to identify your school’s priorities and develop strategic approaches to addressing those needs. You will develop your own leadership within the frame of positive mental health and build a network, sharing best practice with peers from other schools.
- • 4 facilitated modules within our online learning environment
• 4 online live interactive group sessions
• 2 individual consultations bespoke to you and your school
• Optional: 2 small group reflective sessions
Subject to final DfE Approval by September
TIS UK - Certificate in Child and Adolescent Mental Health for Designated Mental Health Leads
Hoping to be part of the DfE approved list in September.
Advanced Certificate in the Role of the Designated Mental Health Lead
An on demand 5 unit course (lasting about 250mins). Covering:
A whole school approach to mental health / prevention using data / SEND / Wider community and staff wellbeing / Q&A
(We are not sure this will be included in the DfE list of approved courses - more information to follow)