and mental wellbeing for children and young people
The Connect Card for 10 - 16 year olds in Cornwall created by young people for young people
The Connect Card was created and designed by Young People in Cornwall for 10 - 16 year olds. They wanted something that would be a handy way to quickly find advice and information. They also wanted it to be something YP would see as worth keeping, attractive and discrete. The YP thought a credit size card could be kept in a phone case or wallet and an additional key fob would increase accessibility.
The QR Code on the back can be scanned by the majority of smart 'phones / tablets via the camera (sometimes needs turning on in settings) and links to #Connect.
#Connect is a portal to advice / information on mental wellbeing / gettting help and support and links to agencies across Cornwall.
It is also a place for free stuff / competitions / games / wellbeing tools and resources and opportunities to get involved in new activities in their local area / have their voice heard by the Council on a whole range of issues from the Climate Emergency to helping Cornwall to become a 'brilliant place to grow up' for all young people.
One of the most exciting opportunities is for young people to earn Tempo Time Credits (Time Credits can be used for things like cinema tickets and days out...) by getting involved in anything from reviewing #Connect or suggesting ideas for (or contributing) content and ways to promote the cards and encourage YP to keep / use the cards.
Introducing the Connect Card to YP
- The Connect Card can be given to any YP aged 10 -16 (Y6 - Y11) in Cornwall (and the IOS)
- Explain what it is and why it came about.
- Check they know what a QR code is (in testing very few YP DIDN'T know but it was worth asking the question and being able to show how they work).
- Demonstrate what happens when you scan the card and introduce some of the content*
- Emphasise that: the help content will always be there (and kept updated) and other content will change and grow with new content including free stuff and competitions being added regularly. Encourage them to hang on to it.
- If anyone is interested in getting involved in giving us feedback / creating content / getting involved - they would be most welcome and can earn Time Credits at the same time (see Join the Connect Team tile on the front page).
Suggested quick tour
From #Connect 'Home Page'
- Get Help and Support includes ideas for urgent help as well sources of support in Cornwall.
- Free stuff and competitions - there will be something at least once a term
- Resilience Hero game (due before half term Autumn 2021) created by a local gamer / game designer in Cornwall)
- Your Way Cornwall app - In-app content has been designed by young people, for young people, and includes general information, advice and guidance, an app version of the Wellbeing and Resilience Action Planning tool alongside content on mental health and wellbeing.
From #Connect 4 You
- Wellbeing and Resilience Action Plan (WRAP) - on online tool created by young people. The WRAP is now also available as part of the Your Way Cornwall free app.
- RUOK? - an online subjective wellbeing survey based on the Children's Society, Good Childhood Index .
- Affirmation Station - A fun resource in which YP can download postitive messages / affirmations.
From Community Connections
- The range of organisations offering support and information.
- Volunteer to Connect - introduction to Time Credits / get involved.
If you would like #ConnectCards to distribute to young people (10-16) please complete the order for below. For any help contact us headstartyouthcornwall.gov.uk