and mental wellbeing for children and young people
The Connect Card for 10 - 16 year olds in Cornwall created by young people for young people
The Connect Card was created and designed by Young People in Cornwall for 10 - 16 year olds. They wanted something that would be a handy way to quickly find advice and information. To encourage YP to keep the card / key fob the YP also wanted the card to be linked to a site where young might be kept engaged through "Free Stuff, Fun Stuff as well as MH Stuff".
Tempo Time Credits
One of the most exciting opportunities is for young people to earn Tempo Time Credits
Time Credits are part of the engagement tools but also a way to support young people to get involved in opportunities to practice the 5 Ways to Wellbeing including #Connect and #Give. And, help young people make Resilient Moves (part of the BoingBoing Resilience Framework)
The Tempo Time Credits model works simply: people earn Tempo Time Credits for time contributed to their community or service. The Tempo Time Credits can then be used to access Tempo Time Credits can be used to access cinema tickets or book tokens, or activities such as a trip to the Cornish Seal Sanctuary, the Minack Theatre, Flambards or surfing or to get free Cornish Treasure Trails activities.
10 - 16 year olds in Cornwall can earn Time Credits through:
- the Connect Card site
- wellbeing activities in school
- getting involved in youth engagement activities such as the Annual Conversation and Climate Action.
We would love schools involved in Headstart YP activities e.g. the Youth in Mind film project; YP Peer Support funding and Resilience Hero game testing / reviews, to help us ensure pupils can receive Time Credits for their involvement and earn further Time Credits through wellbeing activities benefitting themselves and others.
Contact us to find out more.
Introducing the Connect Card to YP
- The Connect Card can be given to any YP aged 10 -16 (Y6 - Y11) in Cornwall (and the IOS)
- Explain what it is and why it came about.
- Check they know what a QR code is (in testing very few YP DIDN'T know but it was worth asking the question and being able to show how they work).
- Demonstrate what happens when you scan the card and introduce some of the content*
- Emphasise that: the help content will always be there (and kept updated) and other content will change and grow with new content including free stuff and competitions being added regularly. Encourage them to hang on to it.
- If anyone is interested in getting involved in giving us feedback / creating content / getting involved - they would be most welcome and can earn Time Credits at the same time (see Join the Connect Team tile on the front page).
Suggested quick tour
From #Connect 'Home Page'
- Get Help and Support includes ideas for urgent help as well sources of support in Cornwall.
- Free stuff and competitions - there will be something at least once a term
- Resilience Hero game created by a local gamer / game designer in Cornwall)
- Your Way Cornwall app - In-app content has been designed by young people, for young people, and includes general information, advice and guidance, an app version of the Wellbeing and Resilience Action Planning tool alongside content on mental health and wellbeing.
From #Connect 4 You
- Wellbeing and Resilience Action Plan (WRAP) - on online tool created by young people. The WRAP is now also available as part of the Your Way Cornwall free app.
- RUOK? - an online subjective wellbeing survey based on the Children's Society, Good Childhood Index .
- Affirmation Station - A fun resource in which YP can download postitive messages / affirmations.
From Community Connections
- The range of organisations offering support and information.
- Volunteer to Connect - introduction to Time Credits / get involved.
If you would like #ConnectCards to distribute to young people (10-16) please complete the order for below. For any help contact us headstartyouthcornwall.gov.uk